Monday, January 07, 2008

Having grown up in the south and not far from the fictional plantation Tara, from Gone With The Wind. I have always been a fan of Scarlett O'Hara.

I loved that Scarlett was beautiful, flawed, strong, loyal and a spitfire. I always cringed when I read or saw (in the book or video) Rhett giving his most noted line, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" Each time I secretly hoped for an alternative ending. But I know Scarlett will be fine and probably even end up with Rhett.

Is G.W.T.W. a fairy tale? Scarlett was a victim. But she ended up rescuing herself for the most part. And causing a lot of trouble as well. Scarlett had a fairy tale like home and parties before the war. But she did not end up with the prince.

This is somewhat like our fairy tale, Princess Bubble. Obviously not in the quality of writing but in the actual storyline.

Princess Bubble and Scarlett both are survivors. They both heeded advice from their parents and do not end up with the prince. Will Princess Bubble ever end up with a prince? Your guess is as good as mine. We don't know what life has in store for her or us down the road. But I do know she will make it and be happy.

Funny thing, do you ever think about Snow White or Sleeping Beauty and think, "Did they have a happy life? Or were they just thrilled to wake up from the coma?" I don't think about the stories much where you know what is suppose to happen.There is something about the unknown that reminds of us of our own life and has us rooting for the character past the words "The End"

We know Rhett gave a damn. How could he not? And we know Scarlett was thinking, "I will just think about this tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." I love that we always have another day with Scarlett.

No comments: