Tuesday, February 02, 2010

The Monday after I graduated from college I began a career as a flight attendant traveling the world and having a wonderful time. My college friends began to marry off and I made new friends who also married off. So, I made more friends who mostly married off as well. By this point, I had been in 17 weddings and maid of honor in six of those. I went to visit a friend and was playing Barbie with her daughter when I was informed by this 6 year old that Barbie could not be happy without a prince. I said, "Of course she could! I was happy! I loved my family and had seen the world." But, this little princess told be it could not be done and she had all the fairy tales to prove her case. All princesses only ended up happy when they found their prince!

On my flight home, I thought about this conversation and decided fairy tales must change! I was not anti-prince. Just anti-damsel in distress. I wanted girls to marry because they found the love of their life after they loved their life. Because I knew even a prince could not make a miserable person happy. True happiness comes from within and from helping others.

So, I wrote a book Princess Bubble and published it with a friend. We cashed in our savings and decided it was worth the expense to empower girls and remind them they are a princess with or without a prince. Word got out about our message and we appeared on The Today Show and CNN.

But right in the middle of spreading the meaning of "Happily Ever After" my world crashed and my father suddenly died. We were thick as thieves and I was holding back tears of pain while making TV appearances about how to be happy. I still believe my message but missed my sweet daddy.

Meanwhile, my mother told me she had someone to fix me up with. A State Senator,Bill Hamrick, who had been at Auburn the same time I was and who was also in his 40's and single. I did not think much about this but thought it was worth meeting him. Bill's mother was also working on Bill encouraging him to call me and he had even less interest in meeting someone his mother suggested. But, one night he had a dream and remembered a girl he had seen in college who smiled at him and he did not have the never to approach. The next day, Bill clicked on the link to my CNN appearance to see who this girl was his mother wanted him to meet and saw I was the girl from his dream the night before.

We met, fell in love and were married 6 months later. Our wedding day, I shed a few tears and looked up at the sky begging God for a sign from my daddy. Shortly after we said our vows a double rainbow appeared across the sky and I know it was God and my father smiling down on us!

First, I found happily ever after. Then I found a prince to share it with!

No comments: